By Lisa Johanon
No sooner did I write that CDC would be sending out a monthly prayer letter summer hit us hard and we missed a month of communicating with you. Sorry about that! The good news is that we are all alive and well and our lack of writing is not because we were off vacationing in Tahiti, but we were serving God by serving others. So celebrate with us the goodness of God in His protection, preservation, grace, ever abundant love and kindness as we together impacted the kingdom. Here’s the Reader’s Digest version of our summer:
- 1,000 volunteers served with us! Praise God! Together we painted the homes of 6 people, built a wheelchair ramp, beautified the neighborhood and filled 17 dumpsters at our future “World Headquarters”. These same volunteers served at Day camp also and gave nearly 30,000 hours. Thanks volunteers!
Raised $50,000 to make our Summer a reality for hundreds of children and their families. Thanks to all who contributed to our Summer Dreams campaign.
- Built out 7 Exercise Pods throughout the neighborhood to encourage exercise. They look cool and people are having a lot of fun.
- Opened our Fit & Fold Laundromat where you can work out (Fit) while you are doing your laundry (Fold). It looks great and the community is so excited.
- Served 200 kids at day camp for 6 weeks where we served 18,000 meals; sent 100 kids to overnight camp; employed 55 teens through our businesses;
- launched our Pre School Prep Learning Center to help get tots ready for school. Whew I am exhausted just thinking of it all! But most important, dozens of kids are now part of God’s family because of a relationship with Jesus..
Offered some incredible Financial Education classes through our Housing Counselors. Purchased 6 properties; inched closer to financial closing on The Casamira Apartment building; planted a new apothecary garden; witnessed Peaches & Greens have record breaking sales in July; started selling fish from the aquaponics farm and it is delicious!